Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 23, 2007

VT and other things

Today is officially one week after the Virginia Tech school shooting. It astonishes and agers me that someone can feel so badly that they will take the lives of 32 of his peers. Philip and I have a friend who attends class at Tech, and was able to get off campus before the second shooting in the classrooms. His wife is student teaching in Blacksburg and I believe their school had to go on lockdown. Lockdown practice is creepy enough, but to have to go on lockdown for a real reason is very scary. My mom and I were talking last week about how, when she was in elementary school, the only drills they had to do were fire/tornado, and air-raid drills (you know, hiding under the desks?). Now schools have to practice lockdown procedures on a regular basis, and to be honest, it's very scary. I am a teacher, and it is hard to know what I would do in a situation like the one at Tech last week Monday.

On another note, we recently found out that our friend from Tech is likely to be deployed to Iraq sometime in June or July. Philip and I are struggling with this because we love him and his wife to death, and we hate to see them go through deployment-----again. Please pray for Emily and Aaron. Pray that Emily will get a teaching job near her family next year, and pray for Aaron's safety and speedy return. We love you guys!

On a lighter note, we were in North Carolina visiting our niece and nephew for Easter. What fun we had coloring Easter eggs and just spending time with two of our favorite kids in the world. Here are some pictures from our visit during Christmas time.


1 comment:

Josh and Kate plus 2 said...

Jen, I'm so glad to hear that Emily & Aaron are both ok. I thought of them as soon as I heard about VT. Please tell them we say hi & we will be praying for them. Love ~Kate