One of the things I look forward to the most during the Super Bowl (besides the game, of course) is the chance to watch some great commercials. However, this year I was quite disappointed. Yes, there were a couple good ones that I appreciated, but there were some that I thought were incredibly inappropriate. I had heard that the TV station was really trying to clean up its act and that they had turned down several commercials because of their inappropriate content. What did they end up showing? Several commercials that contained women who were scantily-clad, or commercials that were highly suggestive. The lack of good judgment is incredibly disappointing, though I guess it is to be expected in our society now. How sad that we have come to expect some of the material that is on TV anymore. As Christians, how should we respond to these things that are on TV? It makes me sad that stuff like this can be shown on TV at times when kids are still awake and can easily access the stuff. I realize there are always going to be things on TV that we should avoid, but do they have to show stuff like that during the Super Bowl? What do you do then? Do you sit through them and roll your eyes in disgust, do you turn the TV off during the commercials, or do you boycott the Super Bowl alltogether?
What do you think?
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
That is disappointing, isn't it? This constant tension between culture and godliness makes things awkward for Christians who desire to walk ever more closely to Jesus...I don't know what the answer is here, but I know how I'd feel if I had kids. Perhaps that's my answer. Why wait until I have kids to keep things pure?
Post a Comment