Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, March 12, 2010

Naps

So, naps have been an un-ending battle since we brought Josh home. Actually, sleep in general was an issue. The boy would not sleep unless he was ON me. I spent the first three months of Josh's life sleeping on the couch at night with a very heavy baby on my chest. While I missed my bed at times (and my husband) I would never take back those days. They're only little once, and it was the only way any of us got any sleep. However, the day came when it was time for him to sleep in his bed at night, and time for me to stop waking up with a tummy ache after having a child (who felt more like a bowling ball) on my stomach all night long. It was a tough few nights getting him to figure out how to sleep in his own bed, but he finally did, and it has been really good for all of us.

HOWEVER, the little stinker would NOT take naps in his crib. No matter how hard we tried, the boy would cry for literally hours and not fall asleep until we picked him up and then he'd conk out, only to wake up again once we tried to lay him down. SO, I spent the next 3 1/2 months sleeping next to him on the couch (yes, he's way too heavy to sleep on me these days). Last week Thursday we started the very difficult task of working on naps in the crib. I was told to expect that it might take 3-4 days for him to finally "get it." Well, people, I'm here to tell you that one WEEK later, he finally figured it out! I was so close to giving up, and started really questioning myself, wondering if I was actually doing the right thing for my child. I hoped we wouldn't end up on the Dr. Phil show someday (the pediatrician assured me we would not). I've been getting a lot of encouragement from a lot of people, and have even had some people suggest the same book to me. Now, I'm not a fan of Baby Wise--AT ALL--but the other book that has been
suggested has been SO helpful that I wish I had read it months ago!

My friend Justine let me borrow her copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child," (she and my friend Brandi suggested it within the same week) and I am feeling so much more confident that I am doing what is absolutely essential and good for my son. He is now taking naps in his crib (3 a day), putting himself to sleep within 5 minutes of me putting him down, and he's taking good quality naps! Yeah, we've had a couple of naps that weren't so great, but over all things are SO. MUCH. BETTER. I can't believe the difference. Even night waking has gone back to "normal" status. I now have time to do chores around the house, work on my scrapbook, read a book, and even--yes--take a nap! I wish I would have had the confidence to stick it out a while ago. Not only is my little guy happier and more well-rested already, but Mommy is more refreshed now that I get a bit of a break during the day!!!

No comments: